B-1 Visitor For Business/B-2 Visitor For Pleasure

Most individuals who intend to make short visits to the United States for business or pleasure need to apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor’s visa. There is no formal application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to obtain a visitor’s visa. Instead, an applicant must apply directly to the U.S. Consulate with jurisdiction over their residence where they must outline the purpose of their visit and prove that their stay will be temporary. The most common visa categories are the B-1 Visitor for Business and the B-2 Visitor for Pleasure. A B-1/B-2 visa may be granted for up to ten years depending upon the country of issuance; however, an individual is typically admitted to the U.S. for a period of up to six months at a time as a tourist.
An extension may be granted by USCIS for an additional six-month period. It is the period of admission granted upon entry to the U.S. that is granted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) that controls the period of authorized stay, not the visa. Persons who overstays their authorized admission automatically invalidates the visa even if the overstay is for one day. B-1 business visitors are usually admitted for the period required to conduct their business activities. Visitors are generally prohibited from working in the United States.
Ware | Immigration is proud to serve individuals and organizations nationwide. Our offices are located in the greater New Orleans area; Florida; Seattle, Washington and Centennial. We are available by appointment.  Speak to an attorney at 504-830-5900 or contact us online.