Asylum, TPS, VAWA, U Visas, And Other Forms Of Humanitarian Relief

At Ware | Immigration, we assist individuals fleeing harm and seeking freedom and safety in the United States. To this day, the United States strives to uphold the promise of welcome etched on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty and to live up to these words by providing “humanitarian” forms of immigration relief. Humanitarian immigration relief is available to those fleeing certain harms, or “persecution,” in their home country and also to certain individuals seeking to free themselves from dangerous situations within the United States. Asylum and related relief is available to those fleeing persecution perpetrated by the government of their home country or perpetuated by a group that their home government cannot control. The persecution at issue must be on account of race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership within a particular social group, such as women in certain circumstances, gays and lesbians, and other groups. With limited exceptions, applicants must apply for asylum within one year of their arrival to the United States. Once granted asylum, asylees may petition for spouses and children to join them in the United States and they may apply for permanent residence status after one year.

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) affords temporary lawful presence to eligible individuals already present in the United States whose countries have been wracked by natural or man-made disasters. Examples of countries whose citizens have been designated for TPS eligibility include Haiti following the 2010 earthquake and Sudan since 1997 due to the prolonged armed conflict in that country.

Certain individuals in the United States are also eligible for other forms of humanitarian relief. Victims of domestic violence may be eligible to “self-petition” for permanent residence under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) or apply for relief in the form of a U visa, depending on the circumstances. Survivors of many other types of crimes committed in the United States may also be eligible for a U visa, which can eventually lead to permanent residence. Finally, T visas are available for individuals who are victims of human trafficking.

The attorneys at Ware | Immigration will assist you in determining the form(s) of humanitarian relief that is best suited to your particular circumstances. We commit ourselves to obtain a timely and successful result and to treat your case with professionalism, competence, and compassion.

Schedule a consultation with the experienced lawyers at Ware | Immigration at 504-830-5900, to discuss your immigration solution.