Ware Immigration

Call Us 866-833-8308

Jefferson Parish Immigration & Naturalization Law Blog

The Brexit and international student interest in the U.S.

Each U.S. visa has its own set of rules and issues connected to it. This includes the F-1 visa, the main student visa in the United States. When a person from a foreign country is pursuing an F-1 visa and its corresponding immigration status in connection to a desire to go to school in America, how they address the legal concerns particular to this pursuit can heavily impact their education and life goals. International students who have an interest in studying in the U.S can go to skilled immigration lawyers for guidance on such student visa issues.

How likely international students are to have an interest in studying in the U.S. can be impacted by many things. This includes major legal and political developments in the United States. It also includes such developments in other countries.

The limitations of H-4 visas for children of H-1B workers

When a foreign national comes to the U.S. to work in a specialty occupation on an H-1B work visa, they may bring certain family members with them. Under U.S. immigration law, certain relatives of such workers can qualify for legal immigration status through a special kind of visa. This visa is called an H-4 visa. Among the individuals that can qualify for such a visa are children of H-1B workers, if they are under the age of 21.

An important thing to note is that there are some limitations that H-4 visas have for such children. One is that they do not authorize such individuals to work in the U.S., even after they hit working age. Another limitation comes from the fact that such visas only convey legal immigration status to such children while they are under the age of 21.

Pursuing the documents one needs to work in the U.S.

When one of the big goals of a foreign national who has come to the U.S. is to work in the U.S., there are many things it is critical for them to be aware of. One is what the immigration status that they are in the U.S. on means for their work eligibility.

There are many different immigration classifications here in the United States. Whether or not a person from another country can work in the U.S. in part depends on which classification they are under. Some classifications bar a person from working. Skilled immigration lawyers can advise foreign nationals on whether working in the U.S. is possible under the immigration status they have in the U.S. and, if it isn’t, whether they would have options for changing their status to one in which they would have eligibility to work.

International student applications down at many U.S. business schools

There are many different types of education international students could pursue in the United States. This includes business education. It appears that recently, though, interest in coming to study at U.S. business schools may be down among students from other countries.

A recent survey asked U.S. schools that provide two-year MBA programs about international applicants to such programs for the 2017-2018 school year. The survey results indicated that around three-quarters of these programs saw fewer such applicants for that school year than they did for the previous one.

U.S. changes policy on when visa holders will be presumed to have lied

Individuals from certain countries are only allowed entry into the U.S. if they have been granted a visa. When applying for a visa, such individuals will generally give their plans for what they will be doing when they are in America to U.S. officials.

Sometimes, after entering the U.S., things happen to a visa holder that make them want to change their plans for their activities in America. When considering making such a change, it is important for a person to understand what impacts such a change could have on their overall immigration situation. In some instances, such a change might trigger a government presumption that a person lied when initially laying out their plans to officials.

Hurricanes sometimes drive migration

The recent strikes of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma here in the U.S. demonstrate the great amount of devastation that major weather events can cause. When such weather events strike in other countries, individuals from those countries may seek ways to escape the devastation left in the storm’s wake. Some might desire to get their life off to a fresh start in another country, such as the United States.

A recent study found that it is common for there to be an increase in migration to the U.S. following a hurricane striking other countries.

The contributions of immigrant entrepreneurs to the U.S.

Immigrants make many important contributions to the United States. This includes economic contributions. Among the significant economic activities some immigrants engage in here in the U.S. are entrepreneurial efforts.

A look at big U.S. companies points to the major impacts immigrant entrepreneurs have had in America. Many large U.S. companies whose products and services Americans use every day were founded by immigrants or the children of immigrants. One estimate suggests that around two out of every five Fortune 500 companies have such a person as their founder.

New in-person interview requirements announced for certain immigration processes

There are many types of U.S. immigration benefits individuals can seek out. The application processes for each of these benefits vary in what rules are connected to them. When a person is applying for a given immigration benefit, it can be important for them to have an accurate understanding what rules apply to their case.

For one, such an understanding can help a person have a clear idea of what to expect during the application process. It could also help inform them of what preparations it could be important to make for the various steps of the process.

Green card holders subject to some limits

Among the immigrants who live and work here in the U.S. are green card holders. These individuals have permanent resident status in the U.S. and enjoy the rights that go along with this status. There are many such rights. We went over some of the prominent ones in a past post.

However, permanent residents are also subject to limits that U.S. citizens generally are not. For example, green card holders are barred from:

  • Serving on a jury.
  • Voting in federal elections.
  • Running for office.

U.S. high schools continue to see more international students

With the school year getting started up, the nation’s high schools will soon be full of students again. Among the students who attend U.S. high schools are international students. It is estimated that, in the fall of 2016, U.S. high schools had an international student enrollment of nearly 82,000.

Over the past decade, the number of students from other countries studying at U.S. high schools has gone up significantly. While the pace of this increase has slowed in recent years, the increase has continued.