Can L-1 visa workers bring their spouse with them to the U.S.?

L-1 visas allow a foreign national to come to work in the U.S. as part of an intercompany transfer at the company they work for. They are a type of nonimmigrant (temporary) work visa. Among the things individuals who are coming to America, such as here in Louisiana, to work under an L-1 visa may wonder is whether their spouse would be able to join them.

There is a route for spouses of L-1 visas holders to gain admission to the United States. There is a special immigration status, L-2 status, such spouses can qualify for. This is a nonimmigrant status for eligible family members of L-1 workers. In addition to spouses, unmarried children under 21 of L-1 workers can also be eligible for this status.

Can a spouse of an L-1 worker who has joined their spouse in the U.S. on an L-2 visa work here in the U.S.? They can if they get the proper permission to do so. Such spouses typically have the option to apply for work authorization.

As this underscores, key family immigration issues can come up for L-1 workers and their families. What happens in the various application processes connected to these issues, such as the L-2 application process and the L-2 spouse work authorization application process, can have considerable implications. Skilled immigration lawyers can give guidance to L-1 workers and their family members when it comes to these processes. They can assist such individuals with the various key details and issues related to such applications.

Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, “L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager,” Accessed May 16, 2017