Entrance into the United States as an immigrant religious worker

While there are many who want to immigrate to the United States, there are strict requirements for those who are applying to do so. Those seeking entrance into the country must be eligible for a specific type of visa, but there are limits to the number of visas available in each category each year. One of these categories offers visas to those who are hoping to come to the United States as an immigrant religious worker. 

Who qualifies? 

An R-1 visa is the type of visa specifically for those coming to the United States for religious purposes. There are strict requirements to qualify for an R-1 visa, such as the following: 

  • The religious worker applying for this visa must have sponsorship from a bona fide religious organization. 
  • The applicant must have a connection with an organization within the United States, and he or she must be coming to work in a religious or non-profit capacity. 
  • To qualify for an R-1 visa, an applicant must have prior approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.  

An individual hoping to apply for this type of visa would be wise to understand eligibility requirements before proceeding. 

Help from the start 

One hoping to secure an R-1 visa will benefit from the experienced guidance of a knowledgeable Louisiana immigration law attorney. An assessment of that individual’s goals will help him or her understand the options available. This guidance can prove invaluable when navigating the complex immigration process.