B-1 visas for temporary business in the U.S.

For many who live outside the United States, coming to this country to work means taking advantage of unique opportunities. For some, this means seeking permanent residence in this country, but for others, a business visitor visa is sufficient for their needs. In the latter case, the B-1 visa program provides temporary authorization for certain eligible applicants to enter the country to conduct their business for up to six months with a potential extension of six additional months.

To begin with, an applicant must demonstrate that the business in Louisiana or elsewhere in the country is legitimate. Additionally, to be eligible for a B-1 visa, applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • Be able to complete the business before the visa expires
  • Pay for the trip and support themselves without relying on the U.S. government
  • Have a home and other ties, such as work or family, that ensure they will be returning to their home country when they complete their business
  • Have no other factors that would ban them from admittance to the country

Temporary business visas may be appropriate for someone who needs to meet with American business associates or work out the details of a contract. One may use a B-1 visa to conduct training at a U.S. business or even settle the estate of a loved one who died in the United States. The B-1 also applies for those transiting the United States or for airline workers who are deadheading to reach their next assignment. Unlike some other visa programs, the B-1 does not include family members. Those spouses or children who wish to accompany someone who is a temporary business visitor must apply separately for a B-2 visa.