Employment immigration for university and college teachers

Louisiana colleges and universities are almost always on the hunt for exceptional teachers. When these institutions are unable to find candidates in the United States who are qualified for these positions, they frequently turn to applicants who are foreign nationals. If you were hired to fill one of these positions, your employer will need to submit a permanent labor certification application. Since there are strict deadlines for employment immigration applications, you should understand the timeline that the university or college must work within.

You were likely selected for a faculty position for one of two reasons. If no qualified U.S. workers applied for the job, the university was permitted to hire a foreign national instead. Even if qualified workers in the United States applied, you could have been selected because you were more qualified than anyone else. Like other teachers who travel to this country for positions at institutes of higher learning, you probably fall under nonimmigrant status.

Upon selecting you for the position, the university or college has a period of 18 months to file a permanent labor certification application. If they do not file this application within 18 months then they can choose to recruit for the same position a second time. They may still select you for the position, but only if you are still the most qualified candidate.

You worked hard to get where you are today, and as the most qualified candidate you are excited about teaching at a college in Louisiana. However, you might feel like the application process is largely out of your control. This can be a stressful experience, but you do not have to go through it alone. You can learn more about employment immigration and how we can help by visiting our website.