Changing jobs as an E-3 visa holder

Individuals from certain countries may have special options available to them when it comes to work-related visas here in the United States. Australia is one of these countries. There is one type of U.S. nonimmigrant work visa that is only available to workers from Australia.

This is the E-3 visa. This is a visa for Australian nationals who have been offered a job in the U.S. in a specialty occupation and who have the necessary qualifications for the position.

The process for showing one qualifies for such a visa and pursuing such a visa can be complex. So, many key and impactful issues could come up for an Australian professional as they are attempting to get an E-3 visa in relation to a job opportunity in the U.S.

Significant immigration issues could also come up for such individuals after they have gotten their E-3 visa and started working in America. For example, one situation an E-3 visa holder may find themselves in is wanting to change jobs and work for a different U.S. employer.

E-3 visa holders are able to change jobs. However, there are various immigration-related requirements that have to be met for such a change of employment to occur. For one, a new E-3 application and a new Labor Condition Application will generally have to be filed by the person’s new employer. So, there will again be an important set of approvals to obtain from immigration officials. Also, there can’t be more than a 10-day gap between the end of the old job and the start of the new one.

When it comes to legal issues related to an initial E-3 visa application or issues that come up after an E-3 visa has been granted, workers can seek out guidance from lawyers experienced in matters involving employment immigration.

Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, “E-3 Certain Specialty Occupation Professionals from Australia,” Accessed Nov. 8, 2016