Sponsoring children with family immigration

Family means everything to a lot of people in Louisiana, and living without loved ones nearby might be unimaginable. However, living apart from relatives is just another part of everyday life for many immigrants. This is especially tough for parents who are separated from their children. Parents do have options under family immigration, though, and can petition for their children to come to the United States.

U.S. immigration law defines a “child” as a son or daughter who is not married and is younger than 21. There is an exception for permanent residents, as these individuals can also petition for children older than 21 so long as the children are not married. These petitions also extend to grandchildren.

A parent who is sponsoring his or her child has to submit the Form I-130 along with a filing fee, and must also prove that he or she is a lawful permanent resident. Proof of lawful permanent residence can be demonstrated by submitting a front and back copy of one’s green card. A copy of a foreign passport stamped with proof of permanent residence is also acceptable.

The sponsor must also prove a biological relationship with his or her child. A child’s birth certificate is generally sufficient for mothers, but fathers may need to submit additional documentation. This could be a copy of his marriage certificate to his child’s mother, or proof of divorce. When a child’s parents were never married, the father must provide sufficient evidence of paternity.

It is not enough to just be biologically related to a child. A parent must also have a personal relationship with his or her child, whether that be communication, financial support or visits. Providing this along with proof of a biological relationship must be done carefully to avoid any potential delays, so parents living in Louisiana should be certain they understand the family immigration process for successfully sponsoring children.