Using a nonimmigrant visa to visit the United States

Not every foreign national who travels to the United States does so with the intention of making it their home. Many people choose to visit Louisiana for things like vacation, sightseeing and more. A person who wants to temporarily enter the country for these and other reasons will need to acquire a nonimmigrant visa.

The B-2 visitors visa is one example of a nonimmigrant visa used for temporary travel. A person can get a B-2 visa if he or she is going on vacation, touring the country or visiting family or friends. Someone who is participating in certain events — such as amateur sporting tournaments and theatrical events — can also use this visa, but only if he or she will not be compensated. Other valid reasons for getting a B-2 visa include getting medical treatment, attending conventions or participating in social organization gatherings.

There are challenges to securing a B-2 visa. An applicant has to prove that he or she intends to only visit the United States temporarily and has enough money for the trip. There are not any specific forms that an applicant can use to demonstrate the purpose of the trip. However, submitting letters from family, a bank statement or a doctor’s letter can all be helpful.

Some people might be surprised to learn that they do not even need a nonimmigrant visa. When a person intends to travel to the United States for 90 days or less, immigration officials can waive the visa requirement. Not everyone qualifies for this, though. Someone who is planning to temporarily travel to Louisiana might want to speak with an experienced attorney who can help explain his or her options more clearly.