Is the H-1B the only employment immigration option?

Working in the United States on an H-1B visa is an ideal situation for many people. Unfortunately, because of the limited number of H-1B visas that are available, many applicants are denied. Being denied for this type of visa does not mean it is the end of the road for individuals wanting to come to Louisiana through employment immigration, though. Here are a couple of options to consider.

There are only 85,000 H-1B visas made available every year, 20,000 of which are only for people who have earned master’s degrees in the United States. The denial rate for this visa is 32%. However, if a person who was denied an H-1B visa can demonstrate an extraordinary skill in a fields like sports, the arts, education or business, he or she could qualify for an O1 visa instead. Those who were denied an H-1B visa because they did not meet the requirements might also find that the O1 visa is a better choice based on their skills and qualifications.

There are also a few options available depending on a person’s country of origin. Both Canadian and Mexican citizens can try for a TN visa if their H-1B applications are denied. This is a nonimmigrant NAFTA professional visa, and it gives Canadian and Mexican citizens the ability to work in this country. However, the visa only applies to prearranged business activities, although the employer can be either U.S. or foreign-based.

Other options can include the EB-1, EB-2 or Curricular Practical Training. Like other visas, these have specific requirements that can help people meet their employment immigration goals of working in Louisiana. Before applying, people should be certain of their eligibility and documentation to cut down on lost time that they could use to pursue other options for immigration.