Family members of treaty traders

One of the reasons a person may want temporary admission to the U.S. is to engage in international trade. One type of temporary visa such an individual might be eligible for is an E-1 visa. As a note, classification as an E-1 treaty trader is only available to individuals from certain countries, and there are a variety of requirements beyond just the nation-of-origin requirements a person has to meet to receive this classification.

Now, what classification a person seeking to come to the U.S. qualifies for not only has impacts on them, but can also have implications for their family. This because some family members of a person given a nonimmigrant visa may be eligible for a visa themselves.

For example, unmarried children under 21 and spouses of E-1 treaty traders can qualify for admission into the U.S. under E-1 dependent status.

How long can such a qualifying dependent stay in the United States? Generally, if they are granted an E-1 dependent visa, their authorized length of stay will be the same length as that of the treaty trader they are a dependent of.

Can a dependent of an E-1 treaty trader work in the United States? It depends on what type of dependent they are. Spouses of treaty traders generally are eligible to apply for work authorization. If granted such authorization, they can work in the United States.

Does a dependent have to be of the same nationality as the treaty trader to be eligible for E-1 dependent status? They do not.

What impacts their U.S. immigration law status would have on their dependents is something a treaty trader or another person who is going to the U.S. temporarily may care about greatly. Experienced attorneys can advise visa holders, such as E-1 treaty traders, on what sorts of family immigration options might be available for dependents as a result of their visa status.

Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, “E-1 Treaty Traders,” Accessed Oct. 4, 2016