David A.M. Ware
David Ware graduated from Yale College, summa cum laude, in 1977. He received his J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law in 1981, after spending a year abroad studying Mexican law pursuant to a Fulbright-Hayes scholarship. He is admitted to practice in the State of Louisiana, but as an attorney whose practice is limited to federal law, may lawfully practice in any state of the Union. He has practiced immigration and nationality law exclusively since 1982, either in solo practice or as a partner. He has diverse experience in representing companies, universities, medical schools and many other entities, and individuals, regarding immigration concerns. He has for many years been elected to the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, and has been selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America since 2000. For 10 years, Mr Ware has been placed among the top immigration attorneys in Louisiana by New Orleans Magazine, and in 2005 and 2008, City Business magazine selected him as one of the top 50 "Leaders in Law" in Louisiana, the only immigration attorney ever so chosen. He has also held the highest rating, AV, in the attorneys' directory, Martindale Hubbell, for over a decade. Mr Ware is a recognized leader among immigration attorneys in practice areas of interest to higher education and business immigration, and he has for many years served as a mentor in these areas for other immigration attorneys through the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) Mentorship Program.
Mr Ware has been active in the National Association of Foreign Student Affairs: Association of International Educators (NAFSA) since 1985. In addition to holding several AILA and NAFSA leadership positions, he has received awards for outstanding service to NAFSA Region III (South Central States) five times, as well as commendations for service from both the Miami Chapter of the Florida Association of International Educators, the Texas State NAFSA chapter (twice), and the Federal Bar Association Immigration Law Section. He presents approximately 50 times per year, serving as an expert speaker at AILA, NAFSA, NACUA, FBA, and many other organizations’ international, regional conferences and local conferences and meetings.
He currently is serving a second term on the American Immigration Lawyers’ Association’s Liaison Committee to the US Department of Labor. Within the purview of the Committee is H2B temporary labor certifications.
He also serves on the Federal Bar Association’s Immigration Law Section Advisory Board, as well at the NACUA Notes Editorial Board of the National Association of College and University Attorneys.
Mr. Ware has participated as an expert in several legal proceedings over the decades. Most recently he served as expert in a domestic proceeding where the issue was the nature of Optional Practical Training accorded F-1 students following their studies.
Mr. Ware currently divides his time between his offices in Metairie, Louisiana and Seattle, Washington.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Louisiana, 1981
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. - 1981
- Honors: E. Ernest Goldstein Award for Best Contribution to Texas International Law
- Law Journal: Texas International Law Journal, Staff, 1978 - 1979
- Law Journal: Texas International Law Journal, Research Editor, 1980 - 1981
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
- B.A. summa cum laude - 1977
- Honors: Distinction in Major
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: Bildner Prize in Portuguese
- Major: Latin American Studies
- Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City, Mexico
- Honors: Fulbright-Hayes Scholarship 1979-1980
- Major: Peruvian History
- Major: Archaeology
- Major: Literature
Honors and Awards
- Preeminent Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America, 2000
- Top 50 "Leaders in Law" in Louisiana
- Who’s Who International’s Top Corporate Immigration Attorneys, 2008
- AV Rating Martindale-Hubbell
- Member Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Vice Chair, Committee on International Studies, 1995 - Present
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, TSC Limited Committee, 1999 - 2001
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, NAFSA Region III Liaison, 1992 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Smith, Martin & Ware, Partner, 1986 - 1988
- Fox and Ware, Partner, 1984 - 1986
Pro Bono Activities
- ACLU Louisiana Cooperating Attorney, 1983 - Present
- New Orleans Task Force on the Rights of Aliens, 1985 - 1988